Nutrien is the world’s largest provider of crop inputs and services and their purpose starts with the global challenge of feeding nearly 10 billion people by the year 2050.
In their recent announcement, Nutrien aims to make key transformations through ambitious commitments that will drive systemic change and will help lead the next wave of agriculture’s evolution. Their Feeding the Future Plan has three focus areas with six priority commitments:
- Feeding the Planet Sustainably: Strengthen food security by scaling sustainable and productive agriculture.
- Enable growers to adopt sustainable and productive agricultural products and practices on 75 million acres globally.
- Launch and scale a comprehensive Carbon Program, empowering growers and the agriculture industry to accelerate climate-smart agriculture and soil carbon sequestration while rewarding growers for their efforts.
- Environment and Climate Action: Provide solutions and platforms to achieve emissions reductions in alignment with climate science. This includes Nutrien’s commitment to the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
- Achieve at least a 30 percent reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (Scope 1 + 2) per tonne of our products produced, from a 2018 baseline.
- Invest in new technologies and pursue the transition to low-carbon fertilizers, including blue and green ammonia.
- Inclusive Agriculture: Support rural livelihoods and increase participation of underrepresented stakeholders in agriculture.
- Leverage our farm-focused technology partnerships and investments to drive positive impact in industry and grower innovation and inclusion.
- Create new financial solutions for growers to strengthen social, economic and environmental outcomes in agriculture.
These commitments are just the beginning. They also have new environment, social and governance (ESG) performance targets and goals which are integrated across their company.
Nutrien’s efforts ripple through many of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) but it’s clear their primary focus is SDG 2: Zero Hunger through 2.4.1 sustainable and productive agriculture. Their efforts drive at the core of their strategy which is to sustainably feed more people, using less resources and with fewer emissions.
Nutrien is encouraging stakeholders to come together to evolve the systems and policies needed to address these challenges. As they strive to transform our food system, they encourage the sharing of information and pooling of resources for a new generation of systems-based solutions.
Visit their website for more information on their Feeding the Future Plan.
Click here to view Nutrien’s 2021 ESG Report.